Neck operations, injuries to the neck, and some types of neck pain are all treated using Neck Brace or cervical collars. For quicker healing, they restrict head movement while supporting the neck and spine. Neck collars must be worn until the damage heals. They come in a variety of materials, including foam rubber and plastic, and include a foam or vinyl core.
Guidelines For Using A Neck Brace
Misusing a neck brace might have negative effects. Here are some suggestions for using a cervical collar:
- Your neck muscles can become stiff from prolonged sitting or reclining. This tension can be relieved by making little, gentle movements, like walking.
- Avert hunching or slouching. Instead, maintain your shoulders pushed back and your back straight.
- Avoid sitting in soft or low chairs because they can strain your neck more.
- Stay away from any high-impact exercises like running.
- Except while cleaning it or when your doctor instructs you, wear your neck support at all times.
- Verify that the collar fits properly. A slack collar won’t provide your neck with the correct support, which could worsen pain and cause irritation by rubbing against your skin.
- Even while a cervical neck brace won’t interfere with your regular activities, resting in bed while wearing one could be difficult, painful, and interfere with sleep. You may be able to get the support and rest you need with the aid of a soft cervical collar.
Tips For Sleeping While Wearing a Neck Collars
A comfortable position for sleeping
While lying on your back is preferred, sleeping on your side is also possible when supported properly.
The head, neck, and shoulder should be supported adequately and in alignment with the body if you sleep on your side.
A rolled-up towel placed on top of or within the long edge of your pillowcase will provide your head substantial support, and cushions placed between your knees and under your arm will support your spine to keep it in alignment.
The Importance of a Quality Brace
An excellent neck brace for sleeping shouldn’t significantly disrupt your routine. You need should be able to go about your regular business, wander outside, and even sleep soundly. On the other hand, poor neck support will not only disrupt your sleep but will also make you irritable all day.
Your neck will be supported, you can rest your chin on the collar, and you can prevent unintended head movement as you sleep if you use a soft neck brace.
Other advantages of high-quality neck braces include their ability to wick away moisture and keep the skin fresh and clean.